School hours are from 8:45 am to 3:45 pm Monday through Friday. Students should not be in classroom before 8:50 am unless they have an appointment and are accompanied by a parent or guardian. The front door of Escuela Avancemos! opens at 8:00 am. Children must be picked up no later than 10 minutes after dismissal.
Arrival and Dismissal
Arrival Students may arrive at school any time after 8:00 am. Students are not to be anywhere else in the school unless accompanied by a parent or teacher. School starts promptly at 8:45 am.
Dismissal The school day ends at 3:45 pm Students will be waiting to be picked up in their assigned areas with their classroom teacher. If the student receives transportation the teacher or teacher aid will take students to the assigned areas for dismissal. The students will board the proper school bus with their bus aide.
School Closing for Inclement Weather (Snow)
Escuela Avancemos! will close for snow when Detroit Public Community School District closes for snow or at the discretion of the school’s CEO. Parents will receive a phone call and /or text from the school informing any school closing. Parents are asked to tune into any local TV station for the latest school closure information.
Students will go outside for recess when weather allows it! Please dress for the weather. If the temperature drops below 32 degrees or it is too wet, we keep the students inside.
Students must dress appropriately for whatever activities are called for on a given day. Close-toed shoes are required! Always dress for the weather. If it is raining or snowing, children are expected to arrive to school with the appropriate jackets and footwear to travel from outside to inside of the school. The students must be prepare for learning and dress appropriately. Student who are dressed inappropriately for their learning and or outings will not be allowed to participate in specific activities (including outdoor recess). Escuela Avancemos! has a soft uniform policy for the 2018-2019 school year.
General Dress Code Standards
- Reasonable cleanliness of wearing apparel is expected.
- Shoes, closed toe standard or boots must be worn in the building (no flip flops).
- Beach or swimwear is inappropriate.
- Dress must not cause disruption of the educational process. Clothing that may be deemed to be provocative or offensive or which promotes illegal activity such as the use of drugs, alcohol and tobacco are prohibited.
- Wearing apparel that interferes with or endangers the student while he/she is participating in classroom is subject to the judgment of Escuela Avancemos! staff. Parents please follow the following recommendations.
- Any kind of underwear needs to be covered.
- Shirts must cover the belly.
- Shorts should be as long as your hand when it is resting at your side.
- Any manner of color, arrangement, trademark, or other attribute that is associated with, or denoted by, gang-related membership or affiliation, is not allowed. The prohibition on gang-related apparel will be applied at the discretion of the Director as the need arises.
- Disciplinary action for violation of any dress standards will include notification of the violation, the requirement that the clothing be changed before re-entering class, and, at the discretion of the Principal, a parental conference.
- Parents/guardians should remember that in cold weather, students must come to school with adequate warm clothing to allow them to be outside for up to 30 minutes at a time.
Every child who has attained the age of six years and is under the age of 16 is required to attend school with such exceptions as provided by law. According to state law in Michigan’s section 380.1561. Parents, guardians, and legal custodians must note that adventure activities, including trips, are required parts of Escuela Avancemos! curriculum. We utilize adventure experience to promote growth in intellect, character, and social responsibility. Students are required to attend all adventure activities. Failure to appear for an adventure activity or trip will constitute an absence from school and will be treated according to Escuela Avancemos! policies on student attendance describe below.
School starts at 8:45 am. Teachers will mark attendance records with either a “present”, “absent” or “tardy”. If tardy is accompanied with an excuse by a parent or guardian for an acceptable reason, administration will change the tardy to a “excused tardy”. If student arrives after 8:55 am Student is to obtain a Tardy Pass from the main office to take to their Homeroom teacher acknowledging that they have signed in.
When a student is absent, the student’s parent or legal guardian is to notify the school of the absence by calling the office at 313-596-0079 before 9:00 am on the day of the absence.
Tardiness is the arrival of a student at school without proper excuse after 8:55 am or after the scheduled time that a class begins. Three tardies constitute an unexcused absence and are recorded as such in a student’s attendance record.
Notification of Absences
When a student is truant from school or assigned classes, school personnel will make reasonable effort to notify parents, guardians, or legal custodians by phone as quickly as possible. If a student’s academic progress is compromised because of absence, reasonable effort will be made to notify the parent/guardian in advance so remedial action can be taken.